Makes 3-4 quarts
Perfect for sipping or adding to your favorite soups, this recipe makes a richly-flavored, gelatinous broth when made with Vital Choice Chicken Bone Broth Packs. Each 2-lb pack contains the necks, gizzards, and collagen-rich feet of four pasture-raised chickens.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Simmer time: 6 hours
Makes 3-4 quarts
- 2 Vital Choice Chicken Bone Broth Packs
- 5 ribs celery, cut into chunks
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 fist-size piece of ginger root, unpeeled, cut into chunks
- 1 head garlic, top third sliced off and discarded
- 12 sprigs fresh Italian parsley, including stems
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 7 quarts cold water
- To a 12-quart stock pot, add the chicken parts, along with enough water to cover. Bring to a vigorous boil on high heat and let it roll for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully empty the pot into the sink; rinse the chicken parts with water to remove all debris. This worthwhile process eliminates the need for skimming the broth!
- Clean the stock pot and return the chicken parts to the pot. Add the remaining ingredients, including the cold water. Bring to a boil on high heat, then reduce heat to achieve a gentle simmer. Simmer for 6 hours, uncovered.
- Using a spider skimmer or large slotted spoon, remove the chicken and vegetables from the hot broth and discard. Through a mesh strainer, strain the broth into another pot or a heat-proof container, discarding the solids caught by the strainer. Cool the broth for one hour. Refrigerate and use within 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.