Sometimes, after a long day, all we need for a satisfying dinner is a great sandwich.
Whether enjoyed at lunch or dinner, this simple but sensorily sophisticated sandwich is terrifically nutritious, too.
In addition to omega-3s, it features vegetables, herbs, lemon juice, and EV olive oil, which together deliver hefty doses of anti-aging, anti-inflammatory, antioxidants.
And if you use a whole grain bread, it'll add healthful fiber and even some antioxidants. (Surprisingly, whole grains—even corn kernels—are quite high in beneficial antioxidants. Whole grain flours have much less fiber and antioxidants, but far more than white flours do.)
As needed or desired, you could use canned roasted peppers in place of sautéed fresh strips... either form will be rich in carotenoid-class, red-orange antioxidant pigments... and flavor!
Broiled/Grilled Albacore Sandwich with Red Peppers
1 1/3 pounds skinless-boneless Pacific Albacore Tuna loin medallions
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons organic extra virgin olive oil
6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon organic black pepper
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon organic oregano, crushed
Dash of organic cayenne pepper
1/4 cup chopped basil
Sautéed Red Peppers (see prep instructions below)
1 red pepper, roasted, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch strips
2 teaspoons organic extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 medium onion, sliced into thin half-rings
- Rinse albacore with cold water; pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- Make vinaigrette by combining oil, lemon juice, pepper, salt, oregano and cayenne; mix well. Divide in half.
- Marinate albacore in one-half of the vinaigrette for 30 minutes, turning once.
- While fish is marinating make Sautéed Red Peppers (see recipe below).
- Drain albacore reserving marinade.
- Place tuna under broiler or on oiled grate, 4‒5 inches from heat. Cook 5‒6 minutes, turning once and basting frequently. Do not overcook! Albacore should be pink in center when removed from the heat.
- Toast rolls lightly on grill. Brush toasted sides with remaining vinaigrette.
- Make four open-faced sandwiches by topping with albacore, Sautéed Red Peppers and fresh basil. Serve immediately.
Sautéed Red Peppers
- Sauté onion in oil over medium heat, until translucent. Stir in red peppers and sauté 5‒6 minutes; add garlic, reduce heat to low, sauté 3‒4 minutes and remove from heat. Set aside.