A dish that's virtually guaranteed to draw smiles from family and friends
Prep time 15 minutes; Cook time 13 minutes
Serves 4 to 6
Cook’s Tip: Compound butter can be made in advance, rolled into “logs” in plastic wrap, and kept in the freezer for up to four months. Just slice off a few pieces as needed.
Compound butter ingredients
- 8 Tablespoons (1 stick) salted butter, softened, cut into chunks
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 Tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1 Tablespoon minced orange zest
- 1 Tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 green onions, very thinly sliced
Thaw salmon in the refrigerator overnight, or place unopened, vacuum-sealed portions into cold water for 30 minutes, or until portions are flexible.
Remove thawed salmon from refrigerator or water bath 15 minutes before cooking, to allow it to warm up.
Heat oven or grill to 375°F.
- Place butter chunks in a food processor; process until smooth. Add mustard, orange juice, zest, ginger and salt; process until emulsified, scraping down the sides of the work bowl often. Add the green onion and pulse until mixed. Keep refrigerated, tightly covered, for up to 7 days.
- Cut 2 pieces of wide, heavy-duty aluminum foil about 6-inches longer than the salmon side. Stack the foil pieces (shiny side down) on a baking sheet and spray generously with cooking spray. Place the salmon, skin side down, in the middle of the foil. Fold the foil sides and ends up (1 to 2-inches) to make a shallow pan around the salmon, leaving at least a 1-inch margin around the fish. Season salmon with salt and pepper.
- Carefully transfer the foil pan to the center of the preheated oven or grill. Do not cover the salmon with foil or close the foil over the salmon. Close the oven door or the grill cover and cook for 10 to 13 minutes, just until fish is lightly translucent in the center – it will finish cooking from retained heat. Remove from the oven or grill and let rest a few minutes before serving.
- To serve, top each salmon portion with a dollop of compound butter.
Nutrients per serving:
178 calories, 26g total fat, 13g saturated fat, 63% calories from fat, 121mg cholesterol, 29g protein, 2g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 468mg sodium, 26.5mg calcium and 1910mg omega-3 fatty acids.