In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger are experts in Latin cooking, and have authored five cookbooks, including Cooking with Too Hot Tamales and Mesa Mexicana.
Serves 4 - Prep Time 20 minutes - Cook Time 20 minutes
- 4 Alaskan sablefish portions (4 oz. each)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 Tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup julienned roasted piquillo peppers or red bell peppers
- 4 anchovies, minced (optional)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup organic chicken stock
- 1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Mashed White Beans (recipe follows), for serving
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Mashed White Beans – Click here for the recipe
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Season sablefish portions with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add fish and sear until browned on both sides, about 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Remove from heat, transfer fish to a baking sheet or pan, and bake in oven for 3 to 5 minutes, cooking just until fish is opaque throughout.
- Remove from oven and tent with foil until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in same skillet used to brown fish.
- Add garlic and crushed red pepper and sauté over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add roasted peppers and anchovies, if using, and sauté for 2 minutes more.
- Add white wine, bring to a boil, and cook until reduced by half.
- Add chicken stock, parsley, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, spoon Mashed White Beans (read the recipe) into shallow bowls and top with cooked fish fillets. Spoon roasted pepper sauce over fish and serve immediately, accompanied by crusty bread.