In the Kitchen with Vital Choice
Recipes • Seafood How-To Videos • Recipe Videos • Storage & Cooking Tips
Chef Recipe Videos
Recipes by Category
- 1 1/2 cups cooked, shredded fresh wild Alaskan king crab meat or canned Dungeness crab
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 jalapeños, stemmed, seeded, and finely diced
- 1 cup thinly sliced zucchini or roughly torn squash blossoms
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon organic black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated Mexican manchego or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup grated panela cheese*
- 1/2 cup grated cotija or añejo cheese*
- 6 8- to 10-inch flour tortillas
- Salsa, for serving
Squeeze excess moisture out of crab meat and toss with lime juice. Set aside.
Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook the onions and jalapenos until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the zucchini or squash blossoms, salt, and pepper.
Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until the zucchini or squash blossoms have just turned soft, about 5 to 7 minutes more. Toss with crab mixture. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
In a bowl, combine the three cheeses. Lay the tortillas out on a counter.
Divide the cheese mixture into 6 portions and arrange one portion over half of each tortilla.
Divide the crab and zucchini mixture into 6 portions and sprinkle evenly over the cheese.
Fold over each tortilla to enclose the filling.
Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
Place a cast-iron griddle or skillet over medium-high heat.
Brush one side of a quesadilla with melted butter and place buttered side down in the pan. Cook until very light golden, about 1 minute. Then brush the uncoated side with butter and flip over. Cook until the other side is golden, and transfer to a baking sheet.
When all the quesadillas are browned, transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake 10 minutes, or until the cheese begins to ooze. Serve hot, whole or cut into wedges, accompanied by your favorite salsa ( try it with our .