1 tablespoon soy sauce, shoyu or tamari
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
4 cups sushi rice
Daikon radish sprouts
Sliced cherry tomatoes
Sliced and fried shallots
Wakame seaweed salad
Sliced English cucumber
Thinly-sliced green onion
Chopped yellow/red onion
Toasted and chopped macadamia nuts
1. Thaw the packaged fish in the refrigerator overnight, or immerse the frozen package in cool water for 20 to 30 minutes until pliable. Once thawed, remove the fish from the package and drain in a colander to remove excess liquid.
2. Prepare a batch of basic poke: Toss together the fish and the sesame oil in a medium mixing bowl. To achieve your desired flavor intensity, add the soy sauce and seasoning a little at a time, tasting as you go. For more depth or heat, add any of the following ingredients to taste: Mirin, Vietnamese fish sauce, grated fresh ginger, mashed garlic, wasabi paste, sriracha, red pepper flakes or chili paste with mayonnaise.
3. Cover and refrigerate at least 15 minutes, up to 2 hours.
4. Cook the rice per the instructions on the package.
5. Divide the hot rice between four bowls.
6. Spoon a mound of the chilled fish mixture in each bowl of steaming rice.
7. Add desired toppings and enjoy!