Wild Reefnet Pink Salmon
6 oz portions, skinless/boneless
NOTE: Unfortunately, Reefnet Pink Salmon won’t be available this year (2017).
The fish took a slightly different migration route, which bypassed the stationary location of the reefnet barges, so the fishermen could not catch enough to supply Vital Choice.
Pink Salmon migrate and spawn every two years, so the next time Reefnet Pink Salmon may be available will be in 2019.
- Free shipping on orders over $99.
- Ships frozen with dry ice for 1-3 day Express Ground or Air delivery.
- Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
- Sustainably hand-harvested in small numbers.
- Monterrey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch "Best Choice"
- Kosher Certified (EarthKosher)
- Limited offering – will become available again in 2019.
Reefnetting is an ancient, environmentally superior fishing method that produces the highest quality fish possible.
It was developed by Northwest natives, and less than a dozen reefnet salmon operations still exist.
Our friends at the Lummi Island Wild co-op run several of the remaining rigs, just a 10-minute ferry journey from our home base in Bellingham, Washington. They catch only a few salmon at a time, and hand-pick the best of their pink salmon harvest exclusively for Vital Choice.
The salmon are bled and iced immediately upon harvest ... a practice very rare in commercial fisheries.
At the end of the day, they're ferried just five minutes to shore and take a quick trip to the plant, where they're cleaned, processed, and flash-frozen to preserve their fresh flavor and delicate texture.
The supply is very limited and there'll be no more until 2017, because wild pink salmon only return every two years. Don't wait to snare a share of this rare, savory treat!
Rare fishery nets premium quality pink salmon
The fresh-caught quality of pink salmon from the Lummi Island reefnet co-op crews is the result of a unique fishing method and careful post-harvest handling.
Reefnetters take advantage of flood-tide currents that lead migrating salmon over underwater reefs and into shallow waters.
The gear consists of two small, narrow, stationary rafts with a net suspended underwater between them. The crews wait for the flood tide to bring the harvest, and as salmon rise up to clear the reef, spotters in the rigs' trademark towers call out for the net to be raised.
They catch only a few salmon at a time, which are immediately bled and placed into a small net cage suspended in the sea. This interlude relaxes the fish and allows time for the lactic acid in their muscles to dissipate, ensuring optimal flavor.
As soon as they're ready, the salmon are plucked from the sea and placed in insulated totes full of slush ice. At the end of the day, they're ferried just five minutes to shore, where they're cleaned, processed, and flash-frozen to preserve their fresh flavor and delicate texture.
Average Ratings: 5Write a Review
Read more reviews >
Calcium 1% • Iron 4%
Total omega-3 fatty acids 1146mg
You'll find dozens of recipes in the Salmon Portions & Sides section of our Recipes archive.
Keep frozen at or below 0° F (-18° C). Vacuum-sealed fish held under these conditions should retain its quality for at least six to 12 months. Shellfish and lean white fish (halibut, cod) generally have a longer freezer life than fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sablefish).
NOTE: Seafood stored in frost-free freezers should be used within 3 months.
Thaw under refrigeration below 38° F (3° C). Use within 12 hours for best results. To quick-thaw, place unopened frozen package in cool water for 30 minutes or until fish is flexible.
Cooking and serving tips
- Rinse fish quickly in cold, clean water.
- Cook in a medium-hot lightly oiled pan, under a broiler, or on the grill for 7-8 minutes, until only the very center is still translucent.
- Remove fish from heat and let it “self-cook” another two to three minutes, until just cooked through to center before serving.
- NOTE: It is perfectly safe and healthful to serve our fish raw or partly cooked, because flash-freezing has rendered it 100% sushi-safe.
- Enliven your fish entree with seasonings such as Vital Choice Organic Salmon Marinade Mix or other herb-spice blends.
- Add the seasonings of your choice to a little olive oil and marinate the fish, refrigerated, for 30-60 minutes or overnight. Or, simply mist fish lightly with olive oil or macadamia nut oil and dust with seasonings before cooking.
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $4.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $9.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
For more information, see our Shipping page.