Wild Petrale Sole
16 oz pkg contains 2-4 fillets |
Fish connoisseurs appreciate the sweet, delicate, subtle flavor and fine texture of wild petrale sole — ours is sustainably harvested off the coasts of Washington and Oregon.
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
- 2 to 4 portions per bag
- Individually flash-frozen
- Re-sealable zip lock bags
- Gluten free
- Certified sustainably harvested
- Product of USA
These thin, elegant fillets lend themselves to a variety of cooking methods and recipes.
The classic preparation is to quick-fry them in a bit of olive oil and seasoning.
About our sole
Despite its name, petrale sole (Eopsetta jordani) is a species more closely related to flounder.
Vital Choice wild petrale sole is sustainably harvested off the coasts of Washington and Oregon.
Our sole portions are flash-frozen, and then "glazed" to retain moisture and ensure the freshest possible taste and texture.
This subtly delicious fish is an excellent source of low-fat protein, features ample amounts of omega-3s, and provides calcium and other important nutrients.
Average Ratings: 5Write a Review
Read more reviews >
Calcium 4% • Iron 2%
*Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Contains 570mg of omega-3 fatty acids per serving.
Petrale Sole Sautéed in Herb Butter Sauce
Adapted from a recipe served at Paul Martin’s American Grill.
1-1/2 pounds petrale sole fillets (4 to 6 fillets, depending on size)
Salt, to taste
3 tbsp minced shallots
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 tbsp cold, unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
Fresh thyme or basil leaves
Fresh chives, minced
Lemon wedges (Meyer lemons preferred)
- Pat the sole fillets dry with paper towels. Salt lightly on both sides.
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick skillet on medium-high heat. Add fish to pan and brown lightly on both sides. (Fish is cooked when it flakes easily and is no longer translucent; about 3 minutes per side; do not overcook). Place the fully cooked fillets on a warm plate.
- Add shallots to pan and sauté until soft. Add white wine to "deglaze” the pan, and use a spatula to loosen up any browned shots, chives, and herbs sticking to the bottom of the pan. Add butter and swirl gently to make a sauce. Add herbs, and squeeze a little lemon juice into the sauce. Spoon over the sole.
- Serve immediately.
- Keep frozen at or below 0° F (-18° C).
- Vacuum-sealed fish held under these conditions should retain its quality for at least six to 12 months.
- Shellfish and lean white fish (sole, halibut, cod) generally have a longer freezer life than fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sablefish).
- NOTE: Seafood stored in frost-free freezers should be used within 3 months.
- Thaw under refrigeration at or below 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius). Before thawing, puncture or remove packaging.
- For quick-thawing, place frozen package in cool water for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, just until contents are flexible.
- Once thawed, immediately cook or refrigerate (if refrigerating, puncture package).
- Prior to cooking, do not allow fish to reach temperatures above 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius).
Cooking and serving tips
- Rinse fish quickly in cold, clean water.
- Cook in a medium-hot lightly oiled pan, under a broiler, or on the grill for 7-8 minutes, until only the very center is still translucent.
- Remove fish from heat and let it “self-cook” another two to three minutes, until just cooked through to center before serving.
- NOTE: It is perfectly safe and healthful to serve our fish raw or partly cooked, because flash-freezing has rendered it 100% sushi-safe.
- Enliven your fish entree with seasonings such as Vital Choice Organic Salmon Marinade Mix or other herb-spice blends.
- Add the seasonings of your choice to a little olive oil and marinate the fish, refrigerated, for 30-60 minutes or overnight. Or, simply mist fish lightly with olive oil or macadamia nut oil and dust with seasonings before cooking.
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $6.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $12.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
For more information, see our Shipping page.