Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon
5 lbs, skin-on, random portions |
Our special pack features the same top-grade sockeye used for our skinless portions, with two differences:
- The pieces vary in size and may include smaller tail sections, which are ideal for smaller appetites.
- We leave the skin and its fatty under-layer on one side, so each piece features even more flavor and omega-3s.
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
- Skin-on / boneless
- Top-grade wild Alaskan sockeye
- Average of 14 individually packaged portions per box
- Random-size pieces - may include small tail pieces
- Sustainably harvested
- Certified Kosher (EarthK). Approved for Passover.
- Ships frozen for 2-3 day delivery
- Product of USA (Alalska)
Buy in bulk to save, and choose skin-on for optimal omega-3 levels!
This special offering saves you from $3.50 to $12.00 per pound, compared with our skinless/boneless 6-oz. sockeye portions (which vary in cost depending on the amount you choose).
About sockeye salmon
Each species of wild salmon features its own characteristic flavor and texture, and has its admirers.
But our most popular salmon features a deep, rich flavor that many Alaskans consider the "truest" salmon taste.
This fabulously healthful fish abounds in omega-3s, vitamin D, and more ... see "Sockeye salmon: A true superfood", below.
Why is Vital Choice sockeye so clearly superior?
Salmon connoisseurs find that our sockeye easily beats the very best that supermarkets and specialty stores can offer.
The reasons are simple, but very hard for others to replicate.
First and foremost, the relationships we fostered during decades of fishing Alaskan waters give us rare access to the very finest of these fish.
And our sockeye comes from smaller harvest regions ("fisheries") that host fewer boats and feature faster processing ... so our sockeye is flash-frozen within hours of harvest to capture its fresh-caught quality.
These advantages explain why chefs and savvy salmon shoppers consider Vital Choice wild Alaskan sockeye such a rare catch!
Pure and wholesome
Wild Alaskan salmon rank among the purest of all ocean fish, which is why the EPA, FDA, and consumer advocates recommend it without reservation.
Sockeye vs. king and silver salmon
Wild Alaskan Sockeye is richer than silver (Coho) salmon and a bit leaner than king (Chinook) salmon, with a firmer texture than either fish.
What people say
"Your Sockeye fillets are the best I have ever tasted. I am so impressed, no wonder Dr. Perricone recommends your salmon, it is the BEST." - Melody L., San Clemente, CA
"I just wanted to let you know that the Sockeye salmon is out of this world, what a difference from the store brand!" - Dawn E.
Sockeye salmon: A true super food
As well as ample protein, sockeye offers abundant omega-3s and unrivaled levels of vitamin D and astaxanthin (as-tuh-zan-thin).
On average, each 6-oz. sockeye portion (this pack contain random size pieces) provides:
- Omega-3s – 1,500-2,000mg (mostly EPA and DHA), or 6 to 8 times the minimum daily EPA+DHA intake (250mg) recommended by most world health authorities. (Please see the Nutrition tab on this page for the current omega-3 content of our sockeye salmon, which varies by harvest year and region.)
- Vitamin D3 – About 1,110 IU (in the optimal D3 form). This is double the child-to-adult US RDA (600 IU), more than any other fish or salmon species, and far more than farm-raised salmon or any fortified food, such as milk.
- Astaxanthin – 6-7mg*. This red-orange pigment is a carotenoid-class nutrient with unique health benefits.
*Iwamoto T et al. Inhibition of low-density lipoprotein oxidation by astaxanthin. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2000;7(4):216-22
Turujman SA, et al. Rapid liquid chromatographic method to distinguish wild salmon from aquacultured salmon fed synthetic astaxanthin. J AOAC Int. 1997 May-Jun;80(3):622-32.7
Learn this food's omega 3/6 balance, and why it matters.
Average Ratings: 5Write a Review
Read more reviews >
Calcium 2% • Iron 4%
Keep frozen at or below 0° F (-18° C). Vacuum-sealed fish held under these conditions should retain its quality for at least six to 12 months. Shellfish and lean white fish (halibut, cod) generally have a longer freezer life than fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sablefish).
NOTE: Seafood stored in frost-free freezers should be used within 3 months.
Thaw under refrigeration below 38° F (3° C). Use within 12 hours for best results. To quick-thaw, place unopened frozen package in cool water for 30 minutes or until fish is flexible.
Cooking and serving tips
- Rinse fish quickly in cold, clean water.
- Cook in a medium-hot lightly oiled pan, under a broiler, or on the grill for 7-8 minutes, until only the very center is still translucent.
- Remove fish from heat and let it “self-cook” another two to three minutes, until just cooked through to center before serving.
- NOTE: It is perfectly safe and healthful to serve our fish raw or partly cooked, because flash-freezing has rendered it 100% sushi-safe.
- Enliven your fish entree with seasonings such as Vital Choice Organic Salmon Marinade Mix or other herb-spice blends.
- Add the seasonings of your choice to a little olive oil and marinate the fish, refrigerated, for 30-60 minutes or overnight. Or, simply mist fish lightly with olive oil or macadamia nut oil and dust with seasonings before cooking.
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $4.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $9.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
For more information, see our Shipping page.