Tataki-Style Tuna Loin
36 oz pkg contains 2 loins
Tataki is the Japanese term for a flash-seared fish fillet that's rare except for a thin exterior crust. The smoky notes of the seared exterior highlight the ocean-fresh flavor of line-caught wild albacore.
Our Tuna Tataki is a deliciously different, visually striking dish to serve discerning friends, family, and guests.
- Free shipping on orders over $99.
- Ships frozen with dry ice for 1-3 day Express Ground or Air delivery.
- Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
- Whole loins, unsliced
- Minimum total wt. 36 oz (2.25 lbs)
- One of Randy's Picks
- Smaller fish for optimal purity
- Sustainably line-harvested by hand
- Monterey Bay Aquarium "Best Choice”
*Note: Despite great care, our tuna tataki may infrequently contain small, edible bones
Optimally pure, tender, and sustainable
All Vital Choice albacore comes from a North Pacific fishery.
The fishermen line-catch individual tuna using the sustainable troll method.
This ensures careful handling of each fish, safety for dolphins, and very minimal by-catch. Thanks to its sustainable harvest and lower mercury content, albacore from this fishery is categorized as a "Best Choice” by the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
Smaller fish, harvested by a local fisherman
Vital Choice albacore tuna is sustainably harvested by our neighbor Paul Hill.
Paul quickly flash-freezes it on his small boat to preserve the fish at its peak of freshness. Click here to learn more about our sustainably caught tuna.
Because predatory fish such as tuna accumulate mercury over time, Paul provides us with younger, smaller albacore tuna (15 lbs. or less) for optimal purity.
In addition to ample protein, Albacore provides omega-3s in abundance, and substantial amounts of vitamin D. These are the amounts in a 6 oz portion, which will vary annually and by harvest location:
- Omega-3s: About 1,900 mg of EPA + DHA (3 to 7 times recommended daily intakes)
- Vitamin D: About 1,000 IU (more than double the US RDA of 400 IU)
What People Say
"I never see fresh albacore in markets, so I never knew it was so good. It's as good or better than the yellowfin and bluefin I've had in sushi bars."
— Laura James, Boston, MA
Learn this food's omega 3/6 balance, and why it matters.
Average Ratings: 4Write a Review
Read more reviews >
Keep frozen at or below 0° F (-18° C). Vacuum-sealed fish held under these conditions should retain its quality for at least six to 12 months. Shellfish and lean white fish (halibut, cod) generally have a longer freezer life than fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sablefish).
NOTE: Seafood stored in frost-free freezers should be used within 3 months.
Thaw under refrigeration below 38° F (3° C). Use within 12 hours for best results. To quick-thaw, place unopened frozen package in cool water for 30 minutes or until fish is flexible.
Slicing and serving tips
For the best presentation, slice your whole Tuna Tataki Loins while still partially frozen. Cut the loin sections into slices about 3/4-inch thick.
Rinse the thawed loins quickly in cold, clean water.
- Serve on top of mixed greens.
- Warm and serve with stir-fried veggies and rice or noodles.
- Serve sashimi-style on rice, with pickled ginger, soy sauce, and wasabi on the side.
- If you wish, cook the loins further, slice, and serve as you would our regular tuna portion.
- Note: It's perfectly safe and healthful to serve our Tataki withoug further cooking, because flash-freezing has rendered the tuna 100% sushi-safe.
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $4.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $9.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
For more information, see our Shipping page.