Sea Kelp Cubes
6 oz block, 12 cubes per block
Enjoy the health benefits of pure ocean kelp in the form of convenient frozen cubes.
Add our cubes to smoothies, soups, and sauces as an easy, instant way to reap the benefits of kelp every day.
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
NOTE: The 12-cube and 36-cube options (FBKC601 and FBKC603) must be ordered with at least one other frozen item.
- All natural
- Raw, unrefined
- Eco-grown in the ocean
- Flat blocks of 12 cubes each
- No additives, preservatives, or synthetic colors
- Product of USA (Maine)
Simply break off one cube (or more) and add it to your food or beverage ... the fresh flavor is very mild, and virtually vanishes.
Try adding one cube to a smoothie, soup, or tomato sauce.
Or make a basil/kelp pesto to add color, flavor, and nutritional heft to fish, shellfish, risotto, and whole-grain pasta.
Nutrients in kelp: Rich in iodine
Sea kelp ranks as one of the best food sources of iodine.
Each 0.5-ounce serving averages 105% of the U.S. Daily Value (158mcg) for iodine.
Iodine is critical to thyroid and hormone function, although deficiency is uncommon. One exception is women of reproductive age, who –according to the American Academy of Pediatrics – are often marginally iodine deficient.
On average, kelp is a significant source of vitamin K (8% of the U.S. Daily Value) and folate (5% of the U.S. Daily Value), and averages 1-3% (or less) of the U.S. Daily Value for potassium, calcium, and magnesium.
Kelp gets its green color from chlorophyll, and is a rare source of the carotenoid-class pigment called fucoxanthin, which may promote fat-burning within white adipose tissue .
Finally, kelp contains substantial amounts of sodium alginate, which removes radioactive substances such as iodine-131 and strontium-90 from the body.
Eco and family benefits
Vital Choice kelp is grown naturally off the coast of Maine, without fertilizers or pesticides.
Kelp can grow up to half a meter a day, ultimately reaching heights of 90 to 240 feet (30 to 80 meters).
By removing nitrogen, phosphorus and carbon dioxide from the ocean, growing kelp helps to reduce the damaging acidification caused by carbon emissions.
In addition to helping preserve the ocean environment, the open-ocean farm that supplies our kelp aids families that depend on the sea.
Kelp is harvested during the winter, and the farm employs lobster and scallop harvesters during their off-season, providing much-needed income.
- Council on Environmental Health, Rogan WJ, Paulson JA, et al. Iodine deficiency, pollutant chemicals, and the thyroid: new information on an old problem. Pediatrics. 2014 Jun;133(6):1163-6. doi: 10.1542/peds.2014-0900. Review.
- Lee SM, Lewis J, Buss DH, Holcombe GD, Lawrance PR Iodine in British foods and diets. Br J Nutr. 1994 Sep;72(3):435-46.
- Teas J, Pino S, Critchley A, Braverman LE. Variability of iodine content in common commercially available edible seaweeds. Thyroid. 2004 Oct;14(10):836-41.
- USDA. National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Release 27. Full Report (All Nutrients): 11445, Seaweed, kelp, raw.
- U.S. Office of Dietary Supplements. Iodine Fact Sheet for Health Professionals. Accessed at https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iodine-HealthProfessional/
Average Ratings: 5Write a Review
Read more reviews >
Iodine 105% • Zinc 3%
Vitamin C 0% • Iron 0%
Frozen kelp cubes will last 2 years, and will last 5 days after being thawed.
Add our fresh, mild tasting cubes to smoothies, soups, and sauces.
Simply break one cube (or more) off the block, and add it to your food or beverage.
Try adding one cube to a blueberry smoothie, minestrone soup, miso soup, or tomato sauce.
A basil/kelp pesto makes a great condiment on wild cod, halibut, salmon, sablefish, tuna, scallops, or shrimp.
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $4.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $9.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
For more information, see our Shipping page.