36 oz pkg contains 6-7 portions
Tataki - a Japanese term that means "a quickly seared, rare fillet” - is a brilliant way to experience the pure, robust flavors of our wild Sockeye salmon.
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
- 6-7 portions per order
- Minimum total wt. 36 oz (2.25 lbs)
- Lightly seared, sashimi-style portions
- Top-grade wild Alaskan Sockeye salmon
- Sustainably harvested
- Product of USA
Slice the still partially frozen fish for lovely presentation cuts. Tataki thaws quickly, perfect for sharing at home or entertaining guests.
Why is Vital Choice wild Alaskan Sockeye so clearly superior?
The relationships we fostered during decades of fishing Alaskan waters give us rare access to the very finest Sockeye, from smaller harvest regions ("fisheries") that host fewer boats and faster processing.
This means that Vital Choice Sockeye is cleaned and flash-frozen very quickly after harvest, preserving its fresh-caught quality perfectly. In addition, fat levels in Sockeye vary by region, and on average ours features substantially more flavor and omega-3 nutrition than standard Sockeye.
These advantages explain why salmon-savvy shoppers consider Vital Choice wild Alaskan Sockeye such a rare treat.
Sockeye vs. King and Silver salmon
Wild Alaskan Sockeye is richer than our Silver (Coho) salmon and a bit leaner than our King (Chinook) salmon, with a firmer texture than either fish.
Sockeye salmon nutrition
In addition to ample protein, Alaskan Sockeye salmon offers abundant omega-3s, as well as unrivaled levels of vitamin D and astaxanthin (as-tuh-zan-thin), a carotenoid-class red-orange pigment with rare antioxidant power.
On average, Sockeye salmon provides these amounts of nutrients per 6 oz portion:
- Omega-3s – About 1,994mg of omega-3 EPA+DHA, or 4 to 8 times more than the minimum daily EPA+DHA intake recommended by most world health authorities (250-500mg)).
- Vitamin D3 – About 1,170 IU in the optimal D3 form, which is more than most other fish, and more than any fortified food, approaching the child-to-adult US RDA of 600 IU.
- Astaxanthin – About 6.78 mg*. This red-orange pigment is a carotenoid-class nutrient with unique health benefits.
*Turujman SA et al. Rapid liquid chromatographic method to distinguish wild salmon from aquacultured salmon fed synthetic astaxanthin. J AOAC Int. 1997 May-Jun;80(3):622-32.
Learn this food's omega 3/6 balance, and why it matters.
Average Ratings: 5Write a Review
Read more reviews >
Calcium 0% • Iron 1%
Total Omega-3s 660mg
Keep frozen at or below 0° F (-18° C). Vacuum-sealed fish held under these conditions should retain its quality for at least six to 12 months. Shellfish and lean white fish (halibut, cod) generally have a longer freezer life than fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sablefish).
NOTE: Seafood stored in frost-free freezers should be used within 3 months.
Thaw under refrigeration at or below 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius). Before thawing, puncture or remove packaging.
For quick-thawing, place frozen package in cool water for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, just until contents are flexible. Once thawed, immediately cook or refrigerate (if refrigerating, puncture package). Prior to cooking, do not allow fish to reach temperatures above 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius).
Cooking and serving tips
- Rinse fish quickly in cold, clean water.
- Serve on top of mixed greens.
- Warm and serve with stir-fried veggies and rice or noodles.
- Slice and serve sashimi-style on rice, with pickled ginger, soy sauce, and wasabi on the side.
- Cook the loins further, slice, and serve as you would our regular Sockeye portion.
- Note: It's perfectly safe and healthful to serve our Tataki "as is", because flash-freezing has rendered the Sockeye Salmon 100% sushi-safe.
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $4.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $9.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
For more information, see our Shipping page.