Wild Pacific Spot Prawns
12 oz tub, shell-on
Truly unique, with a clean, sweet flavor and firm texture, our spot prawns are harvested sustainably in cold, clean British Columbia waters. They are hand-packed and frozen in seawater to ensure freshness and peak nutritional quality.
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
- Shell- and tail-on
- No additives or preservatives
- 15 to 20 large prawns per 12 oz tub
- May include some prawn roe (eggs)
- Product of Canada
Please note: Some of your prawns may have roe (eggs) attached. These are perfectly edible, and are rich in omega-3s.
*Frozen products must total $65.00, to prevent thawing during shipping. Please add frozen items until they total $65.00.
Our pure, delicious spot prawns in seawater are harvested sustainably in cold, clean waters off British Columbia.
Upon harvest they're hand-packed in tubs with seawater, and flash-frozen to preserve their fresh-caught quality.
Their name stems from the bright white dots that mark their shells; it's equally accurate to call them spot prawns or spot shrimp.
Some of our prawns may include an extra special treat – a clutch of oil rich red roe on their bellies. This can be gently captured with a spoon to use as a garnish, or simply removed and discarded with the shells after cooking.
Spot prawns (Pandalus platyceros) are abundant and the fishery is well-managed and sustainable. There are very low rates of "by-catch" because the prawns are caught with small individual traps instead of large trawls and dredges.
Average Ratings: 4.5Write a Review
Read more reviews >
Keep frozen at or below 0° F (-18° C). Held under these conditions the Pacific Spot Prawns should retain their quality for at least six to 12 months. Shellfish and lean white fish (halibut, cod) generally have a longer freezer life than fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sablefish).
NOTE: Seafood stored in frost-free freezers should be used within 3 months.
Thaw under refrigeration at or below 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius). Before thawing, puncture or remove packaging.
For quick-thawing, place frozen package in cool water for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, just until contents are flexible. Once thawed, immediately cook or refrigerate (if refrigerating, puncture package). Prior to cooking, do not allow fish to reach temperatures above 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius).
- Keep prawns frozen until about an hour prior to cooking.
- Soak the frozen sealed container in a sink or basin of cool water for about 30 minutes.
- Pour the contents into a strainer and rinse with fresh, cold water to melt away any remaining ice.
- Prawns can be prepared whole or as peeled and de-veined. (There are no health or culinary reasons to de-vein prawns: it’s simply a matter of aesthetic preference.)
- To quickly peel and de-vein prawns, take a pair of sharp kitchen scissors and cut down the middle of the back shell right to the tail tip. Then break open the shell and pull it off leaving the tail attached. Pull or wash out the vein.
- Prawns can be grilled, baked, sautéed, boiled, steamed, or skewered and grilled
- Prawns take only 1 to 2 minutes to be done. Remove Prawns from heat as soon as they turn pink: overcooking will toughen them.
- Prawns go well in all kinds of pasta dishes – including scampi and pesto – and can be served cold with cocktail sauce (ketchup plus a touch of horseradish) or the dip of your choice. We like dipping them in a blend of melted butter and olive oil, seasoned with our Organic Salmon Marinade mix.
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $4.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $9.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
For more information, see our Shipping page.