Wild Pacific Rockfish
5 oz avg wt portions, skinless/boneless |
Sustainably harvested off the coasts of Washington, Oregon, and California, wild Pacific rockfish is a regional favorite, prized for its rich flavor and firm, flaky texture.
Rockfish is delicious when grilled, baked, broiled, or sautéed, tastes great with most any seasoning or sauce, and makes terrific tacos.
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
- Portions average 5 oz (4–6 oz)
- Individually vacuum-packed
- Rich in omega-3 fatty acids
- Sustainably wild-harvested
- Rated Green/Best Choice by Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch
- Processed in the Pacific Northwest
- Product of USA
Rockfish is a local favorite in the Pacific Northwest, prized for its rich flavor and firm, flaky texture.
It’s delicious when grilled, baked, broiled, or sautéed, tastes great with most any seasoning or sauce, and makes terrific tacos.
And rockfish is a very good source of omega-3 fatty acids, providing about 420mg per 5-oz portion, which meets the 250-500mg of daily intake advised by health authorities worldwide.
About Wild Pacific Rockfish
The name “Rockfish” covers dozens of closely related species that prefer deep waters and rocky environments.
Vital Choice rockfish can be either of two very similar species — yellowtail (Sebastes flavidus) or widow (Sebastes entomelas) — that commonly swim together.
The fisheries that supply our rockfish are certified sustainable by MSC, and both species are rated “Best Choice” by Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch program, which monitors the sustainability of commercial fisheries.
Rockfish can live 16 to 20 years or more and reproduce at advanced ages, characteristics that cause several species to be over-harvested, and placed off-limits by Federal authorities in the early 2000’s.
Fortunately, fishermen, regulators, and conservationists cooperated on a successful, 10-year-plus plan to restore most rockfish (including yellowtail and widow) stocks enough to allow carefully managed, sustainable harvesting. Today, the recovery of rockfish serves as a model of fishery management. In addition, widow and yellowtail rockfish are harvested in mid-water, avoiding the environmental damage posed by bottom-trawling.
Stephens A, Taylor IG (2018). Status of Yellowtail Rockfish (Sebastes flavidus) Along the U.S. Pacific Coast in 2017. Fark Portland, OR: Pacific Fishery Management Council
Average Ratings: 2.5Write a Review
Read more reviews >
Wild Pacific Rockfish
Calcium 20mg • 2%
Iron .5mg • 2%
Potassium 545mg • 10%
Total Omega-3 Fatty Acids: 420mg
Keep frozen at or below 0° F (-18° C). Vacuum-sealed fish held under these conditions should retain its quality for at least six to 12 months.
Shellfish and lean white fish (halibut, cod) generally have a longer freezer life than fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sablefish).
NOTE: Seafood stored in frost-free freezers should be used within 3 months.
Thaw under refrigeration below 38° F (3° C). Use within 12 hours for best results. To quick-thaw, place unopened frozen package in cool water for 30 minutes or until fish is flexible.
Cooking and serving tips
- Rinse fish quickly in cold, clean water.
- Cook in a medium-hot lightly oiled pan, under a broiler, or on the grill for 7-8 minutes, until only the very center is still translucent.
- Remove fish from heat and let it “self-cook” another two to three minutes, until just cooked through to center before serving.
- NOTE: It is perfectly safe and healthful to serve our fish raw or partly cooked, because flash-freezing has rendered it 100% sushi-safe.
- Enliven your fish entree with seasonings such as Vital Choice Organic Salmon Marinade Mix or other herb-spice blends.
- Add the seasonings of your choice to a little olive oil and marinate the fish, refrigerated, for 30-60 minutes or overnight. Or, simply mist fish lightly with olive oil or macadamia nut oil and dust with seasonings before cooking.
Frozen foods are packed with dry ice
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $4.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $9.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
Overnight shipping and other premium services cost extra; for more information, see our Shipping page. (Live shellfish ship overnight at no extra cost.)
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
When will my frozen foods arrive?
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
*Except when a holiday falls on the designated shipping day.
For more information, see our Shipping page.