Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
14 fl oz jar, certified fair trade
Vital Choice coconut oil stands out in five important ways: virgin & unrefined, certified organic, certified fair trade, certified kosher and packaged in glass.
Vital Choice Guarantee: We'll replace your product or refund your money if you're not satisfied.
- Certified Organic
- Certified Fair Trade
- Virgin, cold pressed
- Certified Kosher (OU)
- Glass jar with metal lid
- Product of Sri Lanka
Our Virgin Coconut Oil offers a delicious alternative to common vegetable oils.
Many chefs and home cooks use coconut oil for stir-frying, sautéing, baking, and more.
And its unusual fat profile — low in omega-6 fats, rich in MCTs — adds nutritional appeal.
What is virgin coconut oil?
To obtain virgin coconut oil, fresh coconut kernel or "meat” is shredded, dried, and pressed.
The resulting oil features a mild, fresh, fragrance, and a light, slightly sweet flavor with hints of coconut.
Coconut oil is liquid at temperatures above 76° F (24° C), and turns solid at lower temperatures.
Nutrition and health benefits
Coconut oil is rich in uncommon saturated fats called "medium chain triglycerides” or MCTs.
Lauric acid is an exceptionally healthful MCT that constitutes more than half the fat in coconut oil.
Unlike the fats in vegetable oils or butter, the body burns MCTs for quick energy, and is less likely to store them.
Like the omega-3 fats in fish oil, MCTs raise the ratio of HDL to LDL cholesterol — an effect linked to reduced cardiovascular risks.
And — as in Mediterranean countries that favor extra virgin olive oil — cultures that commonly use coconut oil enjoy low rates of heart disease.
Average Ratings: 5Write a Review
Read more reviews >
Store coconut oil in a cool, dark place. No refrigeration is required.
Kept under these conditions, coconut oil will remain fresh for up to two years
- Stir-fry or sauté foods in coconut oil.
- Spoon a little into a bowl of oatmeal.
- Blend into coffee for quick, healthy energy.
- Blend a tablespoon or two with fruits to make healthy smoothies.
- Use coconut oil in place of butter to make delicious cakes, brownies, or muffins.
- Enhance the flavor of chicken or fish by adding coconut oil before baking or frying.
- Mix coconut oil with your favorite herbal tea, cider, or coffee for a wonderfully soothing beverage.
Cosmetic and folk-medicinal uses
- A spoonful of coconut oil in tea will soothe a sore throat.
- Rub a small amount of oil on your skin to gently moisturize.
- Add coconut oil to bathwater to condition your skin, and help you relax.
- Wipe oil on your face and eyelids to gently remove makeup and moisturize skin.
- Coconut oil makes a great natural lip balm that softens and protects tender tissues.
- Rub on bug bites to ease itching and form a protective layer that helps them to heal.
- To help prevent split ends, rub a small amount through your hair before showering, and leave it in for 10 minutes.
- Make a simple exfoliating body scrub by mixing 1/2 cup of coconut oil with 3/4 cup of brown sugar or sea salt. (If the scrub is too coarse, add a bit more oil to soften it.)
- To ease diaper rash, smooth a small amount onto the affected area. (The lauric acid in coconut oil has mild antibacterial properties.)
Non-perishable shipments to Washington State, Oregon, Idaho, and
Northern California may arrive faster, in 1 or 2 days.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $4.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $9.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
address, including non-perishables sent to Alaska and Hawaii.
Overnight shipping and other premium services cost more; for
more information on this and all shipping topics, see our Shipping page.