Some of us love olives, and others… eh, not so much. Even many folks who love olive oil don’t really care for olives, finding them too pungent.
This recipe was designed as a Puttanesca, or olive-based sauce, but we suggest that you can use chopped artichoke hearts and roasted red bell peppers in place of olives.
Sardines with Puttanesca (or Not) Sauce
1 can Sardines, bones and skins removed
2 large cloves of garlic, chopped
2 Tablespoons organic exra virgin olive oil
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
½ cup black olives, pitted or ¼ cup chopped artichoke hearts and ¼ cup choped roasted red bell peppers
2 Tablespoons capers
½ teaspoon crushed organic basil
Organic black pepper to taste
Crushed pepperoncino (red pepper flakes—optional)
8 ounces cooked linguini or cappellini
- Heat olive oil in pan. Add garlic and sauté until brown.
- Add sardines to pan and mash until they are close to a paste. Sauté for five minutes.
- Add tomatoes and stir. Add olives (or artichoke hearts and peppers), capers, basil and black pepper.
- Cook for 25 minutes over a medium flame, stirring (from the bottom of the pan) occasionally.
- Serve over linguini or cappellini. For extra bite, if desired, sprinkle pepperoncino on top of pasta and toss well.