Curried Sea Scallops
This simple but senses-satisfying recipe exploits the color and flavor of curry and preventive health value of organic turmeric.
If you lack some of the spices for the Curry Blend, just use 1 teaspoon of prepared curry powder and 1 teaspoon of turmeric.
Curried Sea Scallops
Serve with coconut, basmati, or jasmine rice and spinach sautéed with garlic, onions, and a pinch of nutmeg.
2 teaspoons organic extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon butter
1 tablespoon shallots, minced
1 tablespoon wheat, rice or arrowroot flour
1/2 cup 2% milk or coconut milk
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Organic black pepper to taste
4 threads saffron
Curry blend (1 teaspoon organic turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon organic cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon organic dried ginger, 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder, 1/8 teaspoon organic cinnamon)
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon honey (or raw/brown sugar)
8 oz Alaska Weathervane scallops
- Place the olive oil and butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add the minced shallots and cook for about 5 minutes. Don’t allow the shallots to brown.
- When the shallots are translucent add the flour and stir gently with a whisk until the flour is well blended. Add the wine, milk, salt, pepper, Curry Blend spices (turmeric, cayenne, ginger, cumin, cinnamon), saffron, lemon zest and honey.
- Reduce the heat to low-medium and cook the sauce gently for 10‒15 minutes. Whisk the sauce frequently and after it begins to thicken remove from the heat.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, spray or brush lightly with olive oil and add the scallops (see searing). Do not overcrowd the pan. Cook on the first side for about 3 minutes. Turn the scallops to cook on the other side for 3‒5 minutes.
- When turning the scallops place the sauce back on the burner over low-medium heat. Heat gently while the scallops are cooking.
- Divide the sauce between two plates and top with the cooked scallops and serve.
Nutrition Facts per 1 cup servings: calories 212, calories from fat 81, fat 9 g (14% of calories), saturated fat 3 g (16%), cholesterol 48 mg (4%), sodium 508 mg (21%), total carbohydrates 7 g (2%), dietary fiber 0 g (0%), protein 21 g, vitamin A 18%, vitamin C 7%, calcium 11%, iron 3%.
Special Offers • Recipes
Nutrition & Eco News