This special pack features the same top-grade Sockeye used for our skinless portions.
We leave the skin and its fatty under-layer on one side, which means that each piece features even more flavor and omega-3s.
Why is Vital Choice wild Alaskan Sockeye so clearly superior?
The relationships we fostered during decades of fishing Alaskan waters give us rare access to the very finest Sockeye, from smaller harvest regions ("fisheries") that host fewer boats and faster processing.
This means that Vital Choice Sockeye is cleaned and flash-frozen very quickly after harvest, preserving its fresh-caught quality.
In addition, fat levels in Sockeye vary by region, and on average ours have substantially more flavor and omega-3 nutrition than standard Sockeye.
These advantages explain why salmon-savvy shoppers consider Vital Choice wild Alaskan Sockeye such a rare treat.
What People Say
"Your Sockeye fillets are the best I have ever tasted. I am so impressed, no wonder Dr. Perricone recommends your salmon, it is the BEST." - Melody L., San Clemente, CA
"I just wanted to let you know that the Sockeye salmon is out of this world, what a difference from the store brand!" - Dawn E.Pure and wholesome
Wild Alaskan salmon is among the purest of all ocean fish, which is why the EPA, FDA, Alaska Division of Public Health, and consumer organizations recommend it without reservation.
Wild Alaskan Sockeye salmon
offers abundant omega-3s
and unrivaled levels of vitamin D
Sockeye vs. King and Silver salmon
Wild Alaskan Sockeye is richer than our Silver (Coho) salmon and a bit leaner than our King (Chinook) salmon, with a firmer texture than either fish.
Sockeye salmon nutrition
In addition to ample protein, Alaskan Sockeye salmon offers abundant omega-3s, as well as unrivaled levels of vitamin D and astaxanthin (as-tuh-zan-thin).
On average, Sockeye salmon provides these amounts of nutrients per 4 oz portion:
- Omega-3s – About 2,060mg of omega-3 EPA+DHA, or 4 to 8 times more than the minimum daily EPA+DHA intake recommended by most world health authorities (250-500mg)).
- Vitamin D3 – About 780 IU in the optimal D3 form, which is more than most other fish, and more than any fortified food, exceeding the child-to-adult US RDA of 600 IU.
- Astaxanthin – About 4.52mg*. This red-orange pigment is a carotenoid-class nutrient with unique health benefits.
*Turujman SA, et al. Rapid liquid chromatographic method to distinguish wild salmon from aquacultured salmon fed synthetic astaxanthin. J AOAC Int. 1997 May-Jun;80(3):622-32.7
Keep frozen at or below 0° F (-18° C). Vacuum-sealed fish held under these conditions should retain its quality for at least six to 12 months. Shellfish and lean white fish (halibut, cod) generally have a longer freezer life than fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sablefish).
NOTE: Seafood stored in frost-free freezers should be used within 3 months.
Thaw under refrigeration below 38° F (3° C). Use within 12 hours for best results. To quick-thaw, place unopened frozen package in cool water for 30 minutes or until fish is flexible.
Cooking and serving tips
Rinse fish quickly in cold, clean water.
Cook in a medium-hot lightly oiled pan, under a broiler, or on the grill for 7-8 minutes, until only the very center is still translucent.
Remove fish from heat and let it “self-cook” another two to three minutes, until just cooked through to center before serving.
NOTE: It is perfectly safe and healthful to serve our fish raw or partly cooked, because flash-freezing has rendered it 100% sushi-safe.
Enliven your fish entree with seasonings such as Vital Choice Organic Salmon Marinade Mix or other herb-spice blends.
Add the seasonings of your choice to a little olive oil and marinate the fish, refrigerated, for 30-60 minutes or overnight. Or, simply mist fish lightly with olive oil or macadamia nut oil and dust with seasonings before cooking.
Frozen foods are packed with dry ice
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $4.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $9.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
Overnight shipping and other premium services cost extra; for more information, see our Shipping page
. (Live shellfish ship overnight at no extra cost.)
When will my frozen foods arrive?
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
*Except when a holiday falls on the designated shipping day.
For more information, see our Shipping page