- Ships FREE Overnight on cold gel packs
- Add other items to your cart totaling $99 for Free standard shipping
- 2¼ to 3 inches long
- About 24-28 mussels per lb
Our Pacific Blue mussels have repeatedly won top honors in international contests!
These award-winners are rope-grown in wild, sparkling clean waters off Washington's renowned Whidbey Island.
Their fast growth rate – in a cove blessed by nutrient-rich waters – yields a firm texture and sweeter flavor than most any other mussels.
Because they grow so fast, they feature thin shells and plump, bountiful meats, and provide more pure pleasure per pound.
Easy and safe to enjoy
Because they are grown on ropes rather than in a beach, our Whidbey Island Pacific Blue mussels (Mytilus trossulus) are generally free of sand or grit.
Before the mussels are harvested, each batch is tested and certified-safe by the State of Washington.
Storage and handling
Properly cared for, live shellfish can be held up to 5 days.
However, as with any fresh food, the sooner you enjoy our mussels, the better.
Note: Consuming raw shellfish presents a risk to persons with compromised immunity.
- The mussels are alive, and you need to keep them alive until they are cooked or served.
- As soon as possible, place on (not under) ice and store in the refrigerator at 35-40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- We recommend that you place the net bag of mussels in a colander or other self-draining container, and place that self-draining container inside a larger, closed container to catch any liquid.
- Cover the mussels with a damp cloth or towel to keep them from drying out. Again, do not cover or bury the oysters in ice.
- If prolonged storage is necessary, replenish the ice, remove any water from melted ice, and re-moisten the towel frequently.
- If you put the mussels in a plastic bag, make sure that the top is open or that there are holes in the bag to allow the shellfish to breath.
Testing for freshness
- Using your nose is the best way to check for freshness, If mussels smell fresh, like the sea, they are likely still in very good condition. Discard any off-smelling mussels.
- Sometimes the shells of mussels will gape open just a bit in order to get more air. If you see this and are wondering if they are still alive, simply squeeze them shut; discard any mussels that spring right back open again.
FREE Shipping on all live shellfish orders!
All live shellfish are shipped Overnight.
Live shellfish are harvested to order and shipped with ice-cold gel packs Tuesday through Thursday only (except holidays). Orders must be made prior to 5 p.m. PST the previous day for next-day shipping.
- Monday orders arrive Wednesday
- Tuesday orders arrive Thursday
- Wednesday orders arrive Friday
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- No live shellfish orders can be shipped on Fridays.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
For more information, see our Shipping page
or call 800-608-4825.