- Skin-on, bone-in
- Contains added salt
- Random weight pieces*
- Partially cooked by the smoking process
- No nitrites or artificial additives/preservatives
- Certified sustainable by the State of Alaska
*Each 5 lb. order contains one 1 lb. package of small pieces, plus 18 larger portions (average 3.75 oz each).
One customer called our wild Alaskan Sablefish "the chocolate of fish," for good reason!
Its ravishing richness stems from the ample body fat that Sablefish accumulate to survive their frigid, deep-water environments.
We lightly brine and smoke some of our buttery, sushi-safe Sablefish portions, giving them a rich golden color and delicate alder wood flavor.
These "oven-ready" random-weight portions are NOT cooked fully by the smoking process, but cook through in 6-7 minutes using medium-high heat. (Click the Serving/Storage tab below.)
Alaskan Sablefish (Black Cod) is highly prized overseas, and the vast
majority of the harvest is exported, making it a relative rarity in domestic markets.
Sablefish is very high in omega-3s ... for example, a 4 oz portion averages
a whopping 1.6 grams — more than most wild salmon!
*Note: Although most of the bones have been removed from our Sablefish portions, their delicacy prevents us from doing so completely. There will likely be some bones and/or bone fragments remaining.
Wild Alaskan Sablefish (AKA black cod, butterfish), salt, natural wood smoke
Coming later ...you'll find recipes in the Sablefish seciton of our Recipe page.Pasta/Bean Soup with Smoked Sablefish or Salmon Cherry/Balsamic Cod or Halibut
Keep frozen. Thaw overnight in refrigerator, or for faster readiness, place unopened package in cold water for 30 minutes or until fish is flexible.
Thaw under refrigeration at or below 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius). Before thawing, puncture or remove packaging.
For quick-thawing, place frozen package in cool water for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, just until contents are flexible. Once thawed, immediately cook or refrigerate (if refrigerating, puncture package). Prior to cooking, do not allow fish to reach temperatures above 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius).
Rinse fish quickly in cold, clean water. Cook in a medium-hot lightly oiled pan, under a broiler, or on the grill for 7-8 minutes -- or bake 12-15 minutes at 375° F -- until only only a small spot in the very center still appears translucent.
Remove fish from heat and let it “self-cook” another two to three minutes, until just cooked through to center before serving.
NOTE: It is perfectly safe and healthful to serve our fish raw or partly cooked, because flash-freezing has rendered it 100% sushi-safe.
Enliven your fish with healthful, flavorful seasonings such as Vital Choice Organic Salmon Marinade Mix or other herb-spice blends:
- Lightly coat or mist your fish with Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Macadamia Nut Oil, and rub on the seasonings of your choice.
- Or, add the seasonings of your choice to a little of Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Macadamia Nut Oil and marinate the fish in it the mix, refrigerated, for 30-60 minutes or overnight.
Frozen foods are packed with dry ice
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $4.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $9.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
Overnight shipping and other premium services cost extra; for more information, see our Shipping page
. (Live shellfish ship overnight at no extra cost.)
When will my frozen foods arrive?
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
*Except when a holiday falls on the designated shipping day.
For more information, see our Shipping page