Note: To ensure delivered quality, please add enough fish heads
or other frozen items to your Cart to total $65 of frozen goods.
- Three wild king salmon heads
- Approx. 1 lb. each (total 3 lbs.)
Fish heads form the basis for savory stocks and soups.
Currently, our fish heads come from California king salmon.
Each order provides three whole fish heads plus collars ("necks"), glazed and packed in a bag.
Depending on availability, they may come from various species of wild fish.
We will update this page as needed to specify the kind of fish heads being offered.
Wild Pacific king salmon heads
Wild Pacific Salmon Heads - 3 heads, 3 lb total
Serving Size One head
|Amount Per Serving
||Calories from Fat NA
| Sugars NA
|* Percent Daily Values
are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower
depending on your calorie needs.
Rinse heads in cold, clean water. Place in water, bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes.
Simple Fish Head Soup
Add seasoning and vary the vegetables to achieve various ethnic effects. To make more soup, use more heads and add 1 extra quart of water for every head.
2 cooking pots
Colander or strainer
1 fish head
Lime or lemon slices
- Rinse heads in cold, clean water.
- Add one fish head to a pot with 1 quart of water and simmer for 20 minutes over low heat. (Add 1 more quart of water for every extra head you use: 2 quarts for 2 heads, 3 quarts for 3 heads, etc.)
- Strain the resulting fish broth into another clean pot using a colander. Discard the fish head.
- Add sliced potatoes, carrots, celery, tomatoes, parsley and salt to the broth and cook on low for 10 minutes
- Add rice to the mix and simmer for 20 minutes (white rice) to 50 minutes (brown or black/purple rice) on low heat.
- Let the soup cool before serving with slices of lemon or lime.
Keep frozen at or below 0° F (-18° C). Fish heads held under these conditions should retain their quality for at least six months.
NOTE: Seafood stored in frost-free freezers should be used within 3 months.
Thaw fish heads under refrigeration at or below 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius). Before thawing, puncture or remove packaging.
For quick-thawing, place unopened bag in cool water for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, just until the head(s) are flexible.
Once thawed, immediately cook or refrigerate the heads (if refrigerating, puncture package).
Prior to cooking, do not allow fish heads to reach temperatures above 38 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius).
Frozen foods are packed with dry ice
and ship Monday through Wednesday (except holidays).
Frozen foods ship via 2nd Day Air service or 1-3 Day Express Ground service, depending on shipping date and destination.
Standard Shipping Fees
- Up to $49.99 = $4.95 shipping
- $50 - $98.99 = $9.95 shipping
- $99 and over = FREE shipping
Overnight shipping and other premium services cost extra; for more information, see our Shipping page
. (Live shellfish ship overnight at no extra cost.)
When will my frozen foods arrive?
- We cannot ship perishable goods to PO boxes.
- Free standard shipping applies to all orders of $99 or more sent to any U.S. street address.
- Perishable shipments to Alaska and Hawaii are subject to surcharges; please see our Shipping page.
- Orders placed Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or before 10 AM Tuesday will ship on Tuesday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
- Orders placed between 10 AM Tuesday and 10 AM Wednesday will ship on Wednesday* to arrive 1-2 days later.
- Orders placed after 10 AM on Wednesday through 12:00 midnight Friday will ship on Monday* to arrive 1-3 days later.
*Except when a holiday falls on the designated shipping day.
For more information, see our Shipping page