Welcome to Vital Green ... our pioneering program does 4 good things:
- Fights global warming by offsetting the impacts of shipping.
Click for details.
- Enables recycling of foam shipping cubes via our innovative FREE CubeCycle™ program. Click for details.
- Provides a paperless e-Catalog to save the ink, trees, and energy needed to produce and ship paper catalogs. Click for details.
- Promotes a green partnership with green tips for you, and some insights into our steps toward sustainability. Click for details.
The story behind Vital Green™
Since our first day in business, we've sold only sustainably harvested wild seafood, donated a portion of our profits to planet-protecting programs, and tried to go "green" in other ways. Click for details.
Founder, President, former Alaskan fisherman
Vital Green™ Offsets Global Warming
Effects of Our Shipments
A rigorous, independent life-cycle assessment of the carbon footprints associated with wild-harvested and farmed fish found that frozen, air-shipped seafood like ours has less warming impact than farmed salmon or non-frozen wild fish. (See "Frozen Wild Fish Found Greener than Farmed Salmon or Fresh Wild Fish".)
In 2010, we started using 3-Day Ground for many West Coast shipments, maintaining quality by simply adding a bit more dry ice to shipments.
Then, in 2012, we started trucking goods from our Washington base to a Virginia facility, from where we ground-ship orders to most East Coast addresses. Because trucking burns much less carbon per pound versus air shipments, this initiative cut our carbon emissions dramatically.
And we have more good news … the global warming effects of your shipment will be offset by our support for a green energy project!
Working through NativeEnergy, Inc., we’re helping three school districts in Indiana to stretch education budgets by tapping a bountiful local asset: the wind.
Indiana schools are using wind power to save money and education resources.
The Indiana School Wind Project we support helps districts use this natural resource to save money and maintain education resources. They’ve installed wind turbines that power school buildings and provide hands-on renewable energy training for young people.
“Every dollar we save on energy costs and earn from carbon offsets is a dollar we can spend in the classroom,” said Harold Seamon, assistant superintendent of Northwestern School Corporation.
Every kilowatt hour generated by the turbine offsets a kilowatt hour of electricity used by the school at the retail rate. The turbines are expected to save the school corporations millions of dollars over their 20-year-plus lives.
Vital Choice financial support for NativeEnergy's Help Build™ program was essential in making the economics of the Indiana School Wind Project work.
Jet-related warming effects
Our contribution takes into account the added warming effects of jet emissions at high altitudes … an effect called "radiative forcing".
Jet cargo and passenger planes cruise at high altitudes, where carbon emissions exert greater positive radiative forcing effect than would the same emissions at ground level.
We choose to cover the estimated additional warming associated with Vital Choice air shipments ... a choice that doubles the cost of our annual warming-offset contribution.
About our carbon-offset provider
NativeEnergy, Inc. is a for-profit company partly owned by the non-profit Intertribal Council on Utility Policy (COUP), an organization of Native American tribes.
NativeEnergy uses a unique "help build" model that enables carbon-offset clients like Vital Choice to help finance the construction of new renewable energy projects that need additional upfront funding.
By purchasing a share of a project's long-term offsets, we can help overcome market barriers that discourage the development of high-quality renewable energy projects, and thereby help reduce overall greenhouse gas emissions.
To learn more about global warming and see links to independent information, visit NativeEnergy.
Back to top
CubeCycle sends your Vital Choice foam shipping cubes for recycling ... free!
Almost no municipal recycling programs accept the foam (extruded polystyrene or EPS) containers that we and thousands of other firms use to ship perishables.
Foam containers are relatively eco-friendly to start, as we explain below (click here).
But we weren't satisfied, and developed CubeCycle™ – America's first practical EPS-recycling program, to make Vital Choice a greener place to shop.
After many months of working with FedEx and plastics recyclers, our unique, innovative CubeCycle™ program helps our customers recycle their foam shipping cubes, at no cost.
Here's how to CubeCycle™ your Vital Choice foam shipping containers:
COPY OR PRINT THESE INSTRUCTIONS FOR REFERENCE.
To view nearby FedEx drop-off centers and obtain a FedEx shipping label for your cube, CLICK HERE.
You'll be taken to a page labeled Vital Green Step #1.
Fill in the information fields, then click "Continue".
You'll be taken to a page labeled Vital Green Step #2, where you'll see a list of FedEx drop-off centers in your area.
IMPORTANT: TO AVOID A FED EX PICK-UP FEE YOU MUST TAKE YOUR FOAM CUBE TO A DROP-OFF CENTER.
- COPY THE FEDEX ADDRESS NEAREST YOU*, then click the link provided to view and print your shipping label.
- You'll be taken to a FedEx.com Web page titled "Print Your Labels". Click the purple button labeled "Print Selected Labels". (Ignore everything else on the page, including the purple box labeled "Scheduled a Pick-Up for this Order?", as FedEx will NOT pick up your foam cube.)
- You'll be taken to a FedEx.com page that displays a pre-addressed shipping label for the nearest recycling center. Upon arrival at this page, you will see a pop-up message advising you to print the label and place it in an Airbill pouch. This is not necessary. Click OK to close that pop-up message.
- Print the page using an inkjet or laser printer. After printing the label, you can close your browser. You do not need to click "Continue" or return to Vital Choice.
- Cut out the shipping label portion of the page, which is everything above "Piece Description - Packaging".
- Remove all old labels and tape from the cube. Use clear packing tape to secure the lid to the cube, and to secure the FedEx shipping label to your clean cube. Cover the FedEx shipping label completely with tape, leaving the bar code fully visible for scanning. (NOTE: Ignore the instructions below the label telling you to pack the items inside another box, as this is not necessary.)
- Take your foam cube to the nearest FedEx drop-off center. To avoid a wasted trip, please confirm your chosen drop-off center's hours of operation before you go, by calling it or visiting FedEx.com to find the center's hours.
NOTE: After step 5, you will receive a reminder email from FedEx, which you can ignore and delete.
About our shipping cubes
Polystyrene foam (EPS) shipping containers ensure that our highly perishable foods arrive in optimum condition at the lowest possible cost.
While EPS is not presently bio-degradable, these containers offer many benefits:
- Safe and light-weight (99% air).
- Insulates and cushions contents well.
- EPS is very strong and moisture resistant.
- No green house (HCFC) gases are produced to make EPS.
- Their low weight minimizes energy used for transportation, and curbs product costs.
- EPS can be efficiently recycled into new products at a growing number of centers around the country.
Back to top
Save trees, ink, and energy with our online e-Catalog!
We print our paper catalogs on recycled stock (30% post-consumer waste), and use eco-friendly Enviro/Tech inks.
But our innovative e-Catalog goes even further, by saving the trees, ink, and energy needed to produce and mail paper catalogs.
Browse through it page by page, and click from products in our e-Catalog to the corresponding product pages in our store to learn more and place an order.
Back to top
Our green partnership with Vital Choice customers
To make shopping as "green" as possible, retailers and shoppers need to partner up.
Here's what we do, and what you can do:
Our Part – what Vital Choice does to maximize sustainability
- We source ONLY sustainably harvested seafood species, and natural and organically grown farmed products.
- We process our seafood near the source. (Some seafood is shipped thousands of miles for processing in distant countries.)
- Our innovative VitalGreen™ program facilitates recycling of our EPS shipping cubes. We expect the program to serve as a model for other companies.
- Our VitalGreen™ program also offsets the global warming effects of our shipments to customers, by funding a family dairy farm's project to convert greenhouse gas emissions into renewable energy.
Click here for details.
- Wherever possible, we adopt post-consumer paper and non-toxic, vegetable-based inks for packaging and printed materials.
- Many of our employees work in home-based offices, eliminating commute-associated carbon emissions.
- Our Vital Choices email newsletter has minuscule environmental impact, compared with paper.
- We attend sustainability conferences and seminars to keep abreast of current environmental issues and solutions.
- We donate thousands of dollars annually to environmental organizations such as the Monterey Bay Aquarium, the Marine Stewardship Council, the Raincoast Research Foundation, the National Resources Defense Council, and others working to protect our planet.
Your Part – suggested steps to support sustainability
- Reduce the number of shipments you receive by placing fewer, larger orders instead of more small orders. This typically lowers your cost per pound … try combining your orders with those of friends and other family members!
- Reuse the shipping cubes as storage boxes, coolers, building toys (over age 6), and planters.
- Recycle Vital Choice shipping cubes by following the instructions provided above.
Back to top