Cornmeal-Crusted Cod with Avocado-Spinach Sauce
Created and presented by Myra Kornfeld
2 poblano chiles, sliced into ½ inch strips
1 large bunch spinach (about 10 ounces), stems removed
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 ripe avocado
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon salt
Sliced scallions, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- Make the sauce: Warm the oil in a medium skillet. Add the chiles and sauté until softened, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the spinach and cover. Cook and cook over medium-high heat until the leaves have wilted and shrunken, about 3 to 4 minutes. Toss with tongs once or twice to push the uncooked leaves to the bottom of the pot.
- Transfer the chiles and spinach to a blender along with the chiles.
- Add the water, lime juice, avocado flesh, scallions, and salt to the blender and blend until smooth. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Transfer the sauce to a small pot.
- Mix the cornmeal with the cumin and spread on a plate. Sprinkle both sides of the fish with salt.
- Warm a tablespoon or two of coconut oil in a large cast iron or oven proof non-stick skillet, just enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Dredge the fish on both sides in the cornmeal mixture. Add the fish and sauté until golden, about 3 minutes per side*.
- Transfer the fish to the oven and roast until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, warm the sauce gently just until heated.
- Serve the fish hot, on a pool of the sauce. Garnish with chopped scallions.
*You can sauté the fish in quantity and transfer the pieces to a parchment-lined baking sheet and finish them in the oven.
About Myra Kornfeld
A veteran restaurant chef, recipe developer and editor, private chef and menu consultant, Myra Kornfeld believes that good food, enjoyed in good company, with great conversation is among the greatest of life's pleasures.
Myra is the acclaimed author of several great cookbooks, including these titles available at MyraKornfeld.com
Myra Kornfeld is also the Head Chef & Content Manager of MyFoodMyHealth.com
, an instructor at The Natural Gourmet School of Health and Culinary Arts, the Institute of Culinary Education in New York City, and the graduate program in Nutrition and Integrative Health at the Tai Sophia Institute.