We couldn’t have said it—or baked ‘em—betterby Craig Weatherby
Customer Pamela Georges sent us a great essay/poem about Vital Choice wild organic blueberries—and the accompanying recipe published here—as part of our recent contest.
We love the recipe, and got a big kick out of Pam’s verbal creativity. Enjoy!
Quotidian to Sapid*, Or How My Blueberry Muffins Went From Ordinary To Spectacular
"Roses are red, blueberries are blue, Sugar is sweet, but muffins are, too."
"Red Rover, Red Rover, send Blueberry right over."
That is not exactly the way the children's chants go, but they should. Children would have changed the words if they had tasted Vital Choice Wild Organic Blueberries. My taste buds jumped for joy the very first time I tasted those nectareous mini indigo gems baked into my muffins.
My story does not begin with Vital Choice blueberries, however. Over the years, I have tried many other fresh and frozen blueberries. Some were the size of marbles. Some were "woody" tasting and full of twigs. Others were organic, but lacked that just picked, outdoorsy-fresh taste.
Then I found Vital Choice blueberries. I tore open a bag and Hallelujah! I could immediately see the difference. One ample bite of my absolutely best ever, magnificent, mouth-watering, delicious, ambrosial homemade Coconut-Blueberry Muffins (with sprinkled Rapunzel® sugar baked crunchy on the top... YUM!) was all I needed to know that I had found blueberry Valhalla.
Vital Choice blueberries are the only blueberries good enough to go into my smashing muffins. When I set a plate of them on the table, one would swear to my legerdemain. I must be a magician, they disappear that fast.
Much of my time is spent in searching out the very best organic foods for my family. I cannot, no, I will not use just any old blueberries in my kudos-to-me muffins. Without Vital Choice blueberries, my exceptional muffins would be like all the blueberry muffins baked in the world: humdrum.
When it comes to blueberries, Vital Choice Wild Organic Blueberries are the very best. And the very best is what I want for my family.
*Note: Sapid means "Having taste or flavor, especially having a strong pleasant flavor." (We had to look it up!)
Pam's Coconut-Blueberry Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbls. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond, rice, oat or regular milk (slightly warmed)
- 1/4 cup melted extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 package Vital Choice Wild Organic Blueberries, rinsed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Oil 1-2 12-muffin pans.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a smaller bowl, beat the egg slightly with a fork.
- Stir in the warmed milk (should be slightly warmed so the oil does not harden) and coconut oil. Mix egg and milk mixture into the flour mixture, stirring just until the flour is moistened. Stir in the drained blueberries.
- Spoon into the muffin pans to about 2/3 full. Sprinkle the tops with sugar. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the pans onto wire racks. Serve warm (which is best) or cool.